Aurora Owner Says Oven Exploded in His Office – NBC Chicago

The owner of a construction company in Aurora said he was lucky to be alive after a furnace exploded in his rented office.

Jason Gatewood of Gatewood Remodeling told NBC 5 he was sitting in his office last Friday night when the explosion sent him flying across the room.

“If you’ve ever seen the 4th of July where you see these big booms, you know, that kind of bang on your chest, that’s nothing compared to what I felt,” Gatewood said.

Gatewood said he suffered a concussion and bruised lungs.

“The roof, actually, from what I understand, it lifted quite a bit and then some rubble fell on top of me,” Gatewood said.

The explosion was captured by cameras inside the offices.

According to Gatewood business partner Kelly Rose Ortega, the company hired a company last November to convert the furnace from propane to natural gas.

The Aurora Township Fire Protection District said the incident is under investigation.

A spokesperson for the Kane County Sheriff’s Office said the incident appeared suspicious and members of its bomb squad trained in post-blast analysis were assisting in the investigation.

Nicor ​​also said he was assisting local officials with their investigation into the event.

Meanwhile, Gatewood and Ortega said they received an eviction notice after asking authorities to investigate the incident.

“We don’t know why now we are being treated like this,” Ortega said.

A man who claimed to represent the owner confirmed that Gatewood was being evicted.

NBC 5 left a message for the owner requesting additional information, but we have yet to receive a callback.

Comments are closed.