‘Mr Fixit’ who arranged murder of Fife businessman died in prison from drug overdose

Deyan Nikolov, 33, was found dead in his cell at HMP Glenochil near Alloa in June 2018.

Sheriff Neil Bowie has ruled that he died of a cocaine overdose. He said no precaution could reasonably have been taken to prevent his death.

Nikolov, 33, was hired to organize the murder of Toby Siddique who was in conflict with his brother Mo.

Register to our daily newsletter

Newsletter cut through the noise

Deyan Nikolov who arranged the murder of Toby Siddique

Read more

Read more

Kinghorn Housing: Developer appeals City Council’s rejection of controversial plan …

The latter conspired with Nikolov who then commissioned his compatriot, Tencho Andonov, to kill Toby in the Tanshall district of Glenrothes.

The four-month trial of Nikolov, Siddique and gunman Andonov was one of the longest murder trials in recent Scottish history.

He heard that Toby was lured into an apartment with the promise of contraband cigarettes and alcohol after the brothers fell out over the family business.

Exterior of the apartment at Forres Drive, Glenrothes where Toby Siddique was murdered (Photo: Crown Office)

He was shot in the face and exploded again as he lay helpless on the ground.

The trio were ultimately arrested after Nikolov missed his escape flight by forgetting his passport. The murder weapon has never been found.

Nikolov was initially given an 18-year sentence, which was increased to a minimum of 23 years by the Edinburgh Court of Appeal.

Siddique was imprisoned for at least 25 years and Andonov for 29 years, which was later reduced to 27.

As Nikolov died in the custody of the Scottish Prison Service, it is standard practice to investigate a fatal accident.

He learned that the inmate presented himself as someone whose behavior did not worry the staff.

He helped as a translator for an inmate who spoke only Russian, and it was noted that he was happy to help prison staff in this regard.

He was employed in the prison and devoted himself to hairdressing. He was planning to take a course at the Open University.

The FAI was informed that in October 2017, a “code blue” was called in respect of Nikolov when he was found unconscious in his cell. He returned slowly and the medical staff asked him if he may have consumed anything that caused his presentation.

One night of his death in 2018, he was locked in his single occupancy cell.

In the morning, a prison guard found him lying on the floor of his cell, face down.

There was a plastic bag near his head but not above his head or obstructing his airways. Mr. Nikolov was cold to the touch and did not respond.

The agent issued a “code blue” alert and Nikolov was pronounced dead at the scene.

A police search of the cell found several bags containing white powder that turned out to be cocaine, as well as tramadol, amoxicillin and codeine tablets.

Each bag of cocaine was tied and weighed approximately 0.3-0.5 grams.

The final post-mortem report was released, which certified Nikolov’s cause of death to be cocaine toxicity; and atheroma of the coronary arteries.

The investigation noted that it was possible that coronary artery atheroma played a contributing role.

Thanks for reading this article on our free website. We depend on your support more than ever, as the change in consumption habits caused by the coronavirus is having an impact on our advertisers.

Please consider purchasing a subscription to our print journal to help fund our reliable and verified journalism.

Comments are closed.